Chelsea survived a spectacular late overhead kick from Mehdi Taremi to overcome Porto and confirm a place in the Champions League semi-finals for the first time in seven years.
Thomas Tuchel’s side went into this ‘home’ last-eight second leg – with both games being played in Seville during the current Covid-19 pandemic – protecting a two-goal lead they only briefly threatened to surrender in the dying seconds following Taremi’s brilliant finish.
Chelsea, who will now face either Liverpool or Real Madrid in the semi-final, played within themselves but it was enough to keep a disappointing Porto at bay, the Portuguese side rarely testing keeper Edouard Mendy with their surprisingly cautious approach, which they only cast aside when it was too late.
Mendy’s poor clearance almost offered Corona a first-half chance but he could not take advantage, while Christian Pulisic and Mason Mount had opportunities after the break.
Taremi’s goal was out of character with the rest of Porto’s performance and came too late to alter the inevitable course of this quarter-final.
More to follow.
How to play
Rate players out of 10 throughout or after the game. The rater will close 30 minutes after the final whistle.
Rating range key = Give it up = Pure perfection
- 6Thiago Silva
- 19MountSubstituted forZiyechat 86′minutes
- 29HavertzSubstituted forGiroudat 90+2′minutes
- 18Manafá JancóSubstituted forChipela Gomesat 75′minutes
- 3PepeBooked at 82mins
- 27OliveiraBooked at 46minsSubstituted forVieiraat 84′minutes
- 16GrujicSubstituted forTaremiat 63′minutesBooked at 90mins
- 17JM CoronaBooked at 74minsSubstituted forDíazat 75′minutesBooked at 88mins
- 11MaregaSubstituted forde Lima Barbosaat 75′minutes
- 4Monteiro Pinto Leite
- 14Morais Ramos
- 21Silva Baró
- 30de Lima Barbosa
- 31Chipela Gomes
- Clément Turpin
Match ends, Chelsea 0, FC Porto 1.